REVIEW: Requiem for the Rocket Men

Requiem for the Rocket Men
by John Dorney

Starring Tom Baker and Louise Jameson

Out Now

Review by Phillip Rowntree

The Asteroid - notorious hideaway of the piratical Rocket Men. Hewn out of rock, surrounded by force-fields and hidden in the depths of the Fairhead Cluster, their base is undetectable, unescapable and impregnable.

In need of allies, The Master has arranged to meet with Shandar, King of the Rocket Men. But the mercenaries have captured themselves a very special prisoner - his oldest enemy, the Doctor.

In this adventure The Doctor is in his fourth incarnation. One of the things I enjoy most about Tom Baker is that he sounds as young as he did all those years ago. Listening to him on the Big Finish audio adventures is like being taken back in time. Much to my surprise this is also not untrue for Louise Jameison who revisits the role of Leela.

There is a great energy between the pair that come across wonderfully on audio. I also think a special nod should go to Geoffrey Beevers who voices the master in his incarnation as seen in the Keeper of Traken.

Whilst I enjoyed listening to this adventure, I felt like it was quite an effort. The story incorporates a lot of flashbacks and it wasn't until after the first instalment that I grasped what was going on. I've said it before when I've reviewed Big Finish adventures and it's that I really don't think flashback works on audio.

Similarly there were sequences of chases and battles that, to the casual listener, would be a cacophony of foley sounds.

But, that said, once I focused and got into the story, it was an energetic and fast paced adventure. It's not one to listen to while distracted but if you set aside the time there is a lot to love in this adventure.

BLOGTOR RATING 7/10
Thanks to Big Finish

Labels: , , , , ,